Amount of dissolved drug in a solution.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

37cfa672735346e68b110c62b379754e

Amount of dissolved drug in a solution.

Post by 37cfa672735346e68b110c62b379754e »

How to compute the amount of dissolved drug present in a solution? Present litarature uses UV spectrophotometer but it isn’t readily available in our school. I need to find a different way on knowing. For instance, I have a 50 ml solution with ibuprofen dissolved in it. Then I submerge hydrogels in the solution. Of course, the hydrogels would absorb water and also the drug present in the solution. Now I need to know how much for the drug is left in the solution. Does anyone have any suggested method or computation? I badly need this. Thank you.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Amount of dissolved drug in a solution.

Post by SciB »

If you want to measure specific drug concentrations, I'm afraid you need some very expensive and complicated instruments. I would suggest you use some other chemical as a stand-in like a dye or food coloring which might be absorbed by your hydrogel. Color changes in solution are easy to see and photograph; although you would still need a spectrophotometer to make quantitative measurements.

If you need more information, please post again.

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”