Naming of hybrids

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

06ea6352a3c4424187b712c30c4d3c83

Naming of hybrids

Post by 06ea6352a3c4424187b712c30c4d3c83 »

My teacher asked me this question..
If I have two plants P1 and P2 and I create a hybrid of these plants, how would be the naming for its branches done?
What name would be given to its first, second.... Branches?
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Naming of hybrids

Post by MadelineB »

Hello and Welcome to Science Buddies,
Are you doing a science project? The Ask the Expert forum is for students in grades K-12 who need help with their science projects. The experts do not help with homework questions. If you are doing a science project, please tell us more about your project, including your hypotheses and the experiments you plan do conduct.

If you are not doing a science project, you still are welcome to search the Science Buddies database of projects for those about genetics.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... e-projects

Look in the background sections of the projects where you will find references to online resources. You might also search the web directly for information about genetic hybrids. Thanks!
Clearkels14
Former Expert

Re: Naming of hybrids

Post by Clearkels14 »

Hello,

Hopefully, this will help. P is for Parental so that is why P1 and P2 are named first. The offspring from P1 and P2 is called F for Filial (named F1 and so on). Here is a link to a website that should help you further.

https://www.ck12.org/biology/mendels-fi ... ments-BIO/

Good luck!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”