Project category

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

uzmanagra

Project category

Post by uzmanagra »

Hi, My son is doing his science fair competition project on the topic of "Neuronal regeneration". He used some herbal extract and use Planeria as model to observe the growth of Neuronal regeneration. He used Planeria because it is very similar to human nervous system.
He needs help to determine the category of his project. Our local county fair has the catagory list which include:
1- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology ?
2- Microbiology ?
3- Pharmacology ?
He thinks his project falls under "Biochemistry & Molecular Biology" catagory. Please, suggest the appropriate catagory.

Thanks
17eugenekim
Expert
Project Question: To assist others in the AAE forums
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Project category

Post by 17eugenekim »

This would just be my line of thinking. But I would rule out microbiology as neither planaria nor neurons have much to do with microorganisms (at this scope). Pharmacology may be justified if there is strong emphasis on the herbal extract itself and studying how it encourages neuronal regeneration, but otherwise I think he is correct. Personally I find it interesting that there is a separate category for pharmacology at the county-level science fair; often pharmacology falls under the broader umbrella of biochemistry/molecular biology. If you are not sure, I'd say biochemistry/molecular biology makes the most sense out of the given options. (Cell biology or neuroscience would be better fits if those are available.)
uzmanagra

Re: Project category

Post by uzmanagra »

Thank you so much for your well explained answer! I think, we will encourage him to go for "Biochemistry & Molecular Biology " catagory.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”