Help with Esterification Reaction Hypothesis

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Help with Esterification Reaction Hypothesis

Post by 472667 »

Hello,
I am doing a science experiment that will compare the effects of different organic acids on ethanol concentrations in a solution to see which acid is the most effective at removing ethanol through the process of esterification. Basically, I will add one of benzoic acid, acetic acid, or citric acid to 3 test tubes and compare the resulting ethanol concentration of each. I know that in the process of esterification, a carboxylic acid and alcohol combine to form an ester and water, but I'm struggling to write my hypothesis. So far, I have -
I hypothesize that if different organic acids are added to ethanol, then benzoic acid will cause the greatest decrease in ethanol concentration because it is the strongest acid, so there will be a higher amount of hydrogen ions present in the reaction, making the esterification reaction more effective.
Does this make sense, or is there some logical flaw in my reasoning? If it doesn't make a lot of sense, I would really appreciate it if someone could help explain how I could predict which acid will cause the greatest decrease in ethanol concentration.
Thanks for all the help.
Ultra
Former Student Expert
Project Question: Student volunteer for Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help with Esterification Reaction Hypothesis

Post by Ultra »

Your logic seems fine to me. My roommate mentioned something about the stronger acid having a more stable product, but he agreed that the stronger acid would probably lead to the greatest decrease in ethanol concentration.

That said, whether your hypothesis is correct or not, it's still best to carry out the experiment and see what happens. If the results are contrary to your hypothesis, consider a different explanation. Realistically, you only really need to worry about whether or not your logic is sound if the experiment validates your hypothesis, but you doubt your reasoning.
For science!
- Ultra

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”