lindakind89

bacteria problem

Postby lindakind89 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:47 am

Hi every one :D ,
I want to search the bacteria in food, compared to the food covered and food not covered
I want the impact of bacteria in the air for a wise man that he previously said about the descent of a disease in the days of the year not covered in the food and said that the disease is serious or fatal
My problem is:

1 - How can I know if these bacteria from food or mold from the air?

2-How do I know it is a dangerous bacteria and I do not know what its name because it is unknown?

3-Can I use animals to prove?

4-What is best to use foods or beverages, and is supposed to be eating the same in all trials?

plz help me :)

Thank you :D

17eugenekim
Expert

Re: bacteria problem

Postby 17eugenekim » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi there,

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be a buzzkill here. Your experimental design is for a good question, but I'm not sure how feasible it's going to be.

To answer your questions:

1) This one is not too difficult. Mold is fungus, which looks and behaves differently under a microscope. Bacteria and fungi also grow in different media, so adding an antibiotic that does not affect fungus to a culture can help you distinguish between them. Of course, this will require you to collect samples of the organisms. Also, it's going to be a little difficult to determine whether the bacteria/mold originated from the food or from the air. Which leads to the next point...

2) Short answer: at the high school level, you probably can't. Identifying bacteria beyond a certain level is difficult, and getting it down to the species name is going to be infeasible. You won't know whether it's "dangerous" or not — but with regard to safety, if we don't know what something is, we treat it as dangerous, to be safe.

3) Absolutely not. Animal testing always requires extensive approval beforehand because that is a major ethics and safety issue. You'll have to find other ways of determining health effects (or not do it at all, most likely).

4) This is largely up to you to decide, but just keep in mind that "controlling" your variables is an important aspect of a science project. You want to change one thing and one thing only (that's your independent variable), while keeping as many other things constant as possible.

So unfortunately it's going to be difficult to carry out your experiment as currently written. However, if you provide more details as to what exactly your question is, I'm sure we could help you find alternatives.

Hope that helps...

KatieWong

Re: bacteria problem

Postby KatieWong » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:42 am

I'm no mold/ bacteria expert, but there's plenty of mold test kit you can purchase on Amazon that will tell you the exact types of mold.

To answer your question:

1. Hard to tell where the origin of the bacteria came from, but you will need a sample to use the mold test kit so likely the mold you are testing comes from a physical source.

2. Sample types of indoor molds

3. NO!

4. My vote is for food but as Eugene says, there are so many variables to consider. :wink:

Link removed by moderator.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”