What type of Statistics should I test?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

aaad7a2bb6ba46b6b8dd6714fda15e71

What type of Statistics should I test?

Post by aaad7a2bb6ba46b6b8dd6714fda15e71 »

Hi! For my project, I analyzed the number of particles collected on a vaseline in 5 different locations. 3 slides were set up at each location and the 5 locations were about 2 miles apart from my school to a local refinery. Can you help me figure out what kind of statistics to analyze that would benefit my project? Thank you!
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What type of Statistics should I test?

Post by MadelineB »

Hello and welcome to Science Buddies,

I suggest that you start by making a graph of your observed number of particles for each sample at each location. You could show these results by labeling the X (horizontal) axis with each location. Then use the Y (vertical) axis to show the number of particles. So place a symbol (like a large dot or X) at the height on the Y axis that represents the number of particles.

This graph can show you several important results. First, for a given location, are the particle counts similar? Is there a location where the particle counts are very different?

Then, to compare the counts among the different locations, note the median count for each location (the middle observation). Are the different medians similar across locations? Or do the medians vary between locations by more than the counts vary at each location? Was the wind pattern different for some locations?

Your project display board can show this graph along with your answers to these questions. Tell us what you found and if you have more questions!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”