Jone_12

Blood pressure , Heart rate and blood sugar in a graph!!! *URGENT*

Postby Jone_12 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:54 am

Hello ,
I Urgently need help with my science fair project.
I tested the Blood pressure , Heart rate and blood sugar of 3 young athletes before and after consuming a energy drink.
I did this in 3 experiments.
How can I create a graph at each experiment comparing the Blood pressure , heart rate and blood sugar before the
consumption of the energy drink with the blood pressure, heart rate and blood sugar after the consumption of the
energy drink.
My worry is with the SBP and DBP (exp. 112/72), how do I calculate a single number of the BP reading to compare it with the others in a graph.
I hope you understand and sorry if my english is quite bad :oops:

17eugenekim
Expert

Re: Blood pressure , Heart rate and blood sugar in a graph!!! *URGENT*

Postby 17eugenekim » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi Jone_12,

Glad to be of some assistance. I think what makes the most sense, in general, is a bar graph comparing before/after for each measurement. Since you have three data points per measurement, you might be able to do some additional statistics, e.g. standard error bars (though they may be very large); otherwise you can just plot separate figures for separate test subjects.

Regarding blood pressure: I did a very rudimentary literature search and what I've found is that systolic (SBP) and diastolic (DBP) pressure are usually affected in different ways during exercise. (SBP tends to increase while DBP shows little significant changes.) Just based on that, I would personally graph them in two separate plots, one with SBP and one with DBP. You might (should) also be interested in what's known as "pulse pressure", which is simply the difference between the two, (SBP — DBP).

Ultimately, what you should be asking yourself when graphing, is: "what do I want to show my audience when they see this graph?"

P.S. Your English seems pretty good to me! Let me know if you're having trouble understanding some of the words :)

Jone_12

Re: Blood pressure , Heart rate and blood sugar in a graph!!! *URGENT*

Postby Jone_12 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:04 am

Hi Ekspert 17eugenekim
Thank you so much for your reply,
it helped alot! :D

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”