Safety of Bisphenol A in protective eyewear

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

crabbygardener

Safety of Bisphenol A in protective eyewear

Post by crabbygardener »

Greetings! I have a general question that I can't seem to find an answer to online. There's tons of information about BPA-containing food-related products and their possible health effects, but there's comparatively little about the safety of products that we don't eat off of or out of. Specifically, I'm wondering about the safety of eyewear products that contain BPA--even more specifically, goggles (e.g., swimming goggles or safety goggles) that may contain BPA and be worn for hours at a time--and consequently both get warmed by body temperature and form condensation on the insides of the lenses. I've seen articles online that have mentioned that absorption through the skin is thought to be negligible, but what about absorption through the more sensitive areas of the eyes? Any information/links you can send my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Safety of Bisphenol A in protective eyewear

Post by AmyCowen »

The Science Buddies Ask an Expert forums are for K-12 science projects. Unfortunately, we are not able to help with general research questions outside of this.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”