Antibiotic Resistance topic

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Curry4Science

Antibiotic Resistance topic

Post by Curry4Science »

Hey,
I am basing my question off of this link:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... resistance
What are some antibiotics and bacteria strains that are recommended to use? I need multiple types of antibiotics and one important bacteria strain to measure the antibiotic resistance for said bacteria strain based on 3 antibiotics.
Thanks a lot for your help :D
17eugenekim
Expert
Project Question: To assist others in the AAE forums
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Antibiotic Resistance topic

Post by 17eugenekim »

Hello and welcome to Science Buddies!

In providing this answer I am assuming you have the support and facilities of a proper laboratory setting, under adult supervision, that is able to handle working with bacteria. In other words, a BSL-1 lab. I don't know what your project restrictions are, but there may be additional paperwork if you are working outside of such a space with bacteria.

In terms of bacterial strains, the most common one you'll see in projects (and often easy to obtain) is non-pathogenic E.coli (Escheria coli). As the name suggests, it is nonpathogenic, meaning it is probably harmless even if sterile protocols are violated (which they shouldn't be in the first place!). Another common one is Staphylococcus.

Regarding antibiotics themselves, I would suggest doing a little background research on what kinds there are, and how they work differently. For instance, some work by blocking the ribosomes of bacteria, while others stop cell wall production. I believe some also disrupt DNA replication. I think it would be interesting for your project to get a variable combination of different effects and see how they work differently.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”