Super-absorbent polymer prepared from orange peels

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Pk1234

Re: Super-absorbent polymer prepared from orange peels

Post by Pk1234 »

Hi Mr. Sybee and ms Lakshita
Regarding your previous project , How did you saturate pots, before testing them for soil moisture,
Thanks
Prateek
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SciB »

Hi Lakshita,

I did not get alerts for any of your posts in my email, so did not seen them. Maybe the other posts on the thread somehow blocked yours.

I will go over your abstract and send you a condensed version that is 250 words. You can use the rest of the text in your introduction or elsewhere in the paper.

Sybee
SciB
Expert
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.

Post by SciB »

I condensed the abstract to 234 words. Read it over and see what you think. Since the total is below 250 you could add some words or change it if you like.

[The extension docx has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Now, I will take a look at the bibliography and procedure and make any needed changes.

Sybee
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Hi Lakshita,

The accepted way to do a bibliography in a scientific paper for publication is to place a citation in the text (referring to the bibliographic listing) at the end of the sentence or sentences to which the reference applies. The text citation can be a number (or numbers): [1, 2] placed at the end of the sentence or the first author's surname followed by the year of publication for journal articles or books (Smith, 2021). You can find examples of reference styles on line. Unfortunately different journals use different styles, so there isn’t one standard style. They are similar, however, and differ only in details like where commas are used or whether the title is put in “ “.

Websites are handled differently, as sometimes the author is not given or the URL is not permanent, so you should try to find a link that won’t disappear. Here’s a good description of handling website citations: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and ... urces.html

I will read the procedure next and make any necessary suggestions.

Sybee
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

I have attached the edited procedure, Lakshita. I rearranged it so that it is done the way researchers do the materials and methods section in publishing a paper. You need to include a materials part where you list all the things you used in the experiments and tell where they came from.

Also, you need to have a statistics section where you explain how you calculated the average and standard deviation for the readings and the test you used to determine if a difference was significant.

I can go over the Materials and Methods again later if you want to make sure it is OK as this is an important part of a research paper.

Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,
I am so glad to see your posts again--Hope you are doing good. I was a little worried you got sick :( I was emailing Mrs.Cowen enquiring about you. I am really so happy. Yesterday for approval purposes, I worked on minimizing the abstract and sent all the forms. Got SRC approval :-) Yay!!
I will look into your abstract and procedure and make modifications for the actual fair. Thanks so much for your time.
I registered for the science fair. This year, since it is a virtual competition, the rules are very much different. I will send you the rules as well. Also, I am working with the science fair coordinator on my questions. I will keep you posted on what she says.
I will start putting my other sections and data and will send you as and when I finish. I am planning to complete everything by the end of next week so I will have time to put everything in the format that the science fair asks.
Please check my posts every day if possible as I am planning to send you on daily basis. I am sad that my other posts probably got blocked and that you didn't get any notifications because of it :(

Take care and stay safe.
Lakshita
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Good morning Lakshita,

I am glad that our communication is restored. Sorry to have added to your problems when all I want is for things to run smoothly for you. But you accomplished the goal of getting SRC approval by shortening the abstract, and that's good--you can do it on your own--but I will make sure that I check for your posts every day from now on. Try to take a minute and register with Linked In as a backup.

The temp this morning when I got up was 1 degree F!! It's sunny now and 3 degrees F with a high of 20 predicted--a nice, clear, pretty day with snow covering everything. I hope everything is pleasant on this Sunday morn where you are. We are staying safe and you and your family do the same. Virtual may be tiresome, but its a heap better than being in hospital!

Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,

Yes me too glad to see your posts again. Oh yes it is really cold at your place. In our place, it was snowing on Thursday, today it is raining. It is in 20's here. This time not really snowing much and not that cold compared to last year.

I am also looking at your edits on Abstract and Procedure and making necessary changes.

Once I get my answers from our science fair coordinator, I will let you know. Meanwhile, I am attaching the rules sheet below. We need to do project presentation in the format specified, Quad chart and project video. I had so many questions for her in each section :-( Hopefully she gets back to me soon.
Project-Materials Guidelines-10302020.pdf
(224.64 KiB) Downloaded 275 times

Thanks,
Lakshita
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Wow! That's a lot of rules and regulations, lakshita. You will be even busier than busy! I will be allocating as much time as necessary to help you with this and make sure you have everything done as specified in the guidelines. You have a lot of time, but the sooner you get some things finished the better.

You can always ask me questions. I will read the guidelines so I will be familiar with the format and requirements. I noticed that there are several optional items that can be included, like a research paper, which I think you should certainly do using the style for a peer-reviewed manuscript submitted to a journal for publication. If I were a judge, i would be impressed by any student who did that.

The video will be a challenge to get everything explained in two minutes. Your project is very clear and easy to depict visually, so there's no problem except time.

I will stay in touch,

Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,

Thanks so much for your time. Also I will register on LinkedIn today as you suggested. On Wednesday, I have zoom meeting with my science fair coordinator to help me understand the rules and format better as this is the first year I am appearing for Honors. One bad news :-( I need to upload everything all the project materials (presentation/video etc.) by Feb 15th. Actual competition is only on March 6th. But once uploaded, judges will be selecting 6 finalists and they will be interviewed over zoom on March 6th. So with that said, I only have 2 weeks to complete everything. As you said, yes I will be really busy next 2 weeks with school work also. But I am sure I will make it. I will keep posting my questions on daily basis.

Thanks,
Lakshita
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Well, that puts a little more time crunch on the project--but I know you can do it, Lakshita--along with everything else! I'll read the ISEF guidelines so I know what the format should be and I can check your work. Just send me what you have done and I will take a look at it right away.

Stay well,

Sybee
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,

Thanks so much for your support. First thing another bad news -- I am not able to create LinkedIn, since I am below 16 years. Please let me know if I can contact you by any other means.
I modified my abstract and procedure as you suggested. Thanks again. I will send you by EOD my write up for other sections.

Thanks,
Lakshita
lakshu_s

Post by lakshu_s »

Hi Mr.Sybee,

I managed to spend some time on science fair today. I am attaching herewith today's write-up

- Included background research
- Observations and Interpretation of results -- please let me know if my interpretation looks good.
In table 2, I didn't include the numbers still as it is in my camera and not yet downloaded. I will paste the numbers as I work on the data tables.
- I have put the first experiment data table.

I will work further and send you tomorrow. Goal is to complete everything by Friday and I need to start putting in the format they asked for.

Thanks so much
Lakshita
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

Hi Lakshita,

How is the weather where you are? Here it is almost a blizzard with snow blowing and swirling around the house and the spruces and firs whipping around. I've seen know birds at the feeder yet this morning and they usually come for breakfast by now (7 am). The snow and wind are supposed to continue into the afternoon then turn into sleet. Definitely not going out today! I am praying that the power does not go off because then we will have no heat, water or lights. Have your mom set up the LI account and close it later.

I will take a look at your write-up this morning and make suggestions.

Stay safe and, if the storm is as bad where you are as here--stay home!

Sybee
SciB
Expert

Post by SciB »

I finished reading over your write-up, Lakshita, and made some changes. I don't want to change it too much, however, because I want your voice to be heard. If you think something sounds too stodgy or conventional, please use your own words.

I don't know if this part should be like a published paper--introduction, materials and methods, results and discussion--but i put them in for your reference.

The tables should go next to the results, I think. When I tried to move your Table 1, however, I could not get all the pieces to move as a unit, so you will have to fix it.

Let me know if you have questions. Having the zoom meeting with the coordinator should help a lot in understanding exactly how they want you to present the project.

Stay safe,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”