Specific Procedure for Creating A Polystyrene Resin Using Sulfuric Acid?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

HannaKim

Post by HannaKim »

I want to use Styrofoam to create a resin with sulfuric acid to filter the calcium out of hard water. How do I do this? Can anyone give me a specific procedure?
Here's a link to a similar project: http://cssf.usc.edu/History/2015/Projects/S0615.pdf

Thanks, any help is appreciated!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Specific Procedure for Creating A Polystyrene Resin Using Sulfuric Acid?

Post by SciB »

Hi,

I checked the pdf that you linked to and it gives no recipe for preparing the water filter from styrofoam and sulfuric acid. I did a search and did not come up with anything definite either. You could try adding different concentrations of sulfuric acid (wear eye protection, a lab apron, and use gloves--this acid is highly corrosive!!) to a weighed amount of styrofoam and record what happened.

Do you have any other information about this? You might try posting this question on the physical sciences forum, because a chemist might be able to give you a better answer.

Good luck!

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”