Question about the Kimchi Chemistry project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

icedmilkeutea

Question about the Kimchi Chemistry project

Post by icedmilkeutea »

Hi I'm in grade 9 and I have to do a science research project for my assessment so I have chosen the Kimchi Chemistry project to work with. However, is it compulsory to use glucose test strips in order for the experiment to run? This is because it is difficult to find any and even if I do find any, it is expensive and my parents won't get it for me.

I think I can get the pH test strips but is the glucose test strips an important material for this project? Is it ok if I leave it out?

Also wanted to just say this website has been super helpful in guiding me for my assessment task :D

[Administrator note: project can be viewed here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... -chemistry ]
EmmaGriffiths
Student Expert

Re: Question about the Kimchi Chemistry project

Post by EmmaGriffiths »

Hi icedmilkeutea,

This is a cool project! It's a great way to observe science in the real world.

The glucose test strips are not required -- after all, it is your experiment! The pH strips are much more important.

The reason for this is that glucose levels in the fermenting kimchi are more complex than pH. When fermentation occurs, carbohydrates break down into simple sugars (like glucose) before being metabolized into lactic acid. Notice how glucose is a product that can be found in the middle of the process -- it is both being produced and broken down. This means that glucose readings may be less clear or more difficult to decipher. pH, however, is more reliable. Lactic acid, as the name suggests, should increase acidity as fermentation occurs. In this way, pH is easier to track and analyze.

Good luck with your experiment! If you have any more questions, feel free to come back and ask!

Emma

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”