Presence of Metabolic Wastes in Plant Leaves

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

20a735c45d964045b32b1aec17907b20

Presence of Metabolic Wastes in Plant Leaves

Post by 20a735c45d964045b32b1aec17907b20 »

https://youtu.be/1I7AVqvUOoI

In the video, a potato, red ink, and glycerin were used during the experiment, but the uploader didn't explain what they're used for. Can someone please explain the importance of those three things in the experiment?

Sorry idk if this is the right thread to post this.
ananya_shahani

Re: Presence of Metabolic Wastes in Plant Leaves

Post by ananya_shahani »

Hey!
So, I just watched the video and it seems like an interesting experiment!
For the question you asked regarding the importance of the use of potato, red ink and glycerin, here is the answer:

a. Red ink: Red ink was most likely used to stain the cell walls of its cell. The process of "staining" before "mounting" is done as some stains can penetrate the cell walls and highlight/ enhance visualization on certain cellular components under a microscope. It can also help scientists visualize the metabolic processes so the use of the red ink was to get a clearer visual under the microscope.

b. Glycerin: Glycerin was most likely used for mounting the material ( leaf in this case ) on the slide to keep it in place and expel any bubbles which might form. It's usually used as a hydrating agent so the material wouldn't dry out, or it was used as a wet medium so the stain could be studied better.

c. Potato: I'm not exactly sure for the potato but from my knowledge and research, metabolic waste in plants is due to carbon dioxide, excess water during respiration, and nitrogenous compound during protein metabolism. Nitrogenous compounds are usually formed by potassium, or sodium and potato tuber contain besides protein a large variety of low-molecular nitrogenous substances. Also, it may have more metabolic waste so the leaf was placed in the potato to increase the amount of metabolic waste and observe the metabolic process.

Hope this helps!! :D

- Ananya

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”