1bf5d22e786445dfbbec2793f0817710

apple oxidation experiment inquiry

Postby 1bf5d22e786445dfbbec2793f0817710 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:02 pm

I recently did a science experiment on apple oxidation for school and here are the results of the apples are they've been left out overnight:[url removed]

So I have some questions, are the apples in lemon water doing the best? And how are the apples in milk doing better than vinegar as the milk shouldn't be affecting the rate of browning at all and the vinegar is slightly acidic? There also doesn't seem to be a difference between the apples in salt and lemon water and the apples without anything at all? 

Also, after some research about the brand of the apples, Pink Lady, I discovered they were high in acid so they were more resistant to browning, how does that affect my experiment besides it taking longer to turn brown? Thanks

Moderator note: For security reasons, I've removed the url. It would be better if you post the pictures of the apple as as a png or jpeg as an attachment! Also, I've cross-posted this in the Life Sciences forum so those experts can help you. Thanks!

norman40
Expert

Re: apple oxidation experiment inquiry

Postby norman40 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi,

Based on the information in your post it appears that your experiment may be similar to the one described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... c-browning

The background and bibliography included with the project should be useful for your experiment.

Apple oxidation is slowed by acids. The variety of apple that you chose may be resistant to browning. You might want to try another kind of apple in your experiments.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”