Question about herbal tincture potency?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

desmna

Question about herbal tincture potency?

Post by desmna »

I’m in a nutrition course, and I need to do an experiment based on an assigned topic. I’m most interested in herbs and tinctures, so I want to test the potency of each tincture based on infusion time. I saw you guys had done an experiment with tea and water based on steep time, so I was wondering if the same experiment could be used for alcohol and tinctures?

Thank you
carolynml
Former Expert

Re: Question about herbal tincture potency?

Post by carolynml »

Hi desmna,

I think this is a very neat idea. It is perfectly fine to use Science Buddies' sample projects as foundational ideas that you can then customize towards your own interests. Assuming that you are able to obtain the appropriate alcohol and tinctures and can perform this safely, I don't see why you couldn't substitute the alcohol/tinctures for the tea/water to answer your research question.

Best of luck with your project, and feel free to reach out with any more questions!

Cheers,
Carolyn

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”