dominiqueolivia

Different methods of sanitization

Postby dominiqueolivia » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:08 pm

I would like to do an experiment testing the effectiveness of different disinfectant methods. For example hand sanitizer, regular soap, antibacterial soap, scented soap, UVC, Lysol, Clorox, bleach, Iodine, etc. Would it be more beneficial to use a specific strain of bacteria or simply do a general swab? I would like this to simulate a real-world scenario. I would also like to make the project more complex if possible. I am currently taking mainly AP classes and I would like the project to be at an appropriate level of difficulty. Any suggestions, corrections, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance! :D

koneill18
Expert

Re: Different methods of sanitization

Postby koneill18 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:06 pm

Hello!

This is a great topic for a science project! Here is a link to a Science Buddies experiment that might be a good option for you. It explains a method for testing the effectiveness of different disinfectants against bacteria, but it also incorporates a procedure for testing for bacterial resistance, which makes it a little more complex. You can use any disinfectants that you'd like. You can also use any bacterial strain that you want. Taking a bacterial swab from your skin or from another surface at your house would better simulate a real-world scenario, but you would have to check the rules of your science fair to see if using human samples is allowed. The K-12 strain of E. coli is commonly used in school science projects because it's not dangerous to work with but it's still relevant to human health.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #materials

I hope this gives you some inspiration for your own project! Please feel free to ask any other questions that you have.
Katelyn

dominiqueolivia

Postby dominiqueolivia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:37 pm

Thank you so much for your feedback! Would a Kirby Bauer test be applicable for this?

koneill18
Expert

Postby koneill18 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:45 pm

Yes, the Kirby Bauer method would be perfect for this! It's a commonly used method for testing the effectiveness of different antimicrobial agents.

dominiqueolivia

Postby dominiqueolivia » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:19 pm

Alright thanks! Ill let you know if I have anymore questions!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”