ntr21

Isolating Algae from Agar

Postby ntr21 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi,
I need some help for my project. I'm growing algae and seeing how different growth media would affect it. However, I don't know if 1) should I used a liquid or agar as the medium? I prefer agar - but would there be any benefit to doing so? 2) How would I separate the alage from the agar to measure it's growth, and 3) Is there any procedures on making a potassium stock solution to add to the medium?

Thank you for all the help!

koneill18
Expert

Re: Isolating Algae from Agar

Postby koneill18 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Hello!

This sounds like an interesting project! What kind of algae are you planning on using for your project? And what types of growth media are you planning on testing? This information will help determine what method would be better for your project. If you want to use agar, then you can check and see if pre-made agar plates with the media you want to test are available online. If not, you would need to prepare agar plates yourself. To do this, you would mix together the algae growth medium and the agar, and then sterilize the mixture before pouring it into plates. The media is normally sterilized using an autoclave. If you don't have access to an autoclave and you can't find the agar plates you need online, using liquid media might be easier. For your question about the potassium stock solution, what kind of potassium solution are you trying to make? Did you find an article talking about a potassium solution that another research group used that you'd like to replicate? Potassium can be hazardous and there are safety protocols that you have to follow when working with potassium solutions. If you let us know what is going to be in the solution, then we can make sure to give you the proper guidance!

ntr21

Postby ntr21 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:05 am

Hi,

Thanks for the help so far! I plan on testing Chlorella Vulgaris and seeing between nitrates, phosphates and potassium, which one will increase algae growth most. I plan on making the medium by mixing distilled water with a solution of each nutrient. For the potassium solution, all I could find was a solution of 20mg/l. So far the solution just has distilled water and the nutrient (sort of like the media). I was wondering if the solutions should include other chemicals, but mainly if there are any solution recipes online.

koneill18
Expert

Postby koneill18 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:39 pm

Hi,

This sounds like a great plan! Since you are going to be dissolving each nutrient in water, I don't see any need for you to add agar. You can just put the water/nutrient mixture in a plastic bottle, add the algae, and observe it's growth over time. You can make a scale to rank the growth of each algae culture. For example, you could use a 0-3 number scale where 0 is no growth, 1 is slight growth, 2 is moderate growth, and 3 is heavy growth.

For your potassium solution, I was thinking you could try using something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/NPK-Industries-7 ... =8-25&th=1

It's a potassium supplement meant to help plants grow better. I think using plant supplements or liquid fertilizers as a source of nitrates, phosphates, or potassium in your experiment would be good since runoff from plant fertilizers containing those nutrients can cause algal blooms. This particular potassium supplement gives instructions on how to dilute it in water. Take a look and see if something like this would work for your project.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”