ana090804

Exploratory growth of Streptomyces

Postby ana090804 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:11 am

I am currently doing IB and I chose Biology for my extended essay. I am researching about exploratory growth of streptomyces on glucose agar medium with yeast too. I am trying to understand how yeast's cellular respiration products stimulate streptomyces exploratory growth. Can someone help?

koneill18
Expert

Re: Exploratory growth of Streptomyces

Postby koneill18 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Hello!

This is a really interesting research topic! The first step when planning a research project is to do as much background research on the topic as you can. Reading papers that other scientists have written on the topic can give you an idea of what experimental methods to use in your own project. I found a review article that describes everything that we know so far about how streptomyces exploration works and how yeast contributes to it. If you haven't already read it, it should help you get a good grasp on the topic. I downloaded it and attached the PDF for you here in case you aren’t able to access it.

Here is the link to the original research article where they first discovered that yeast can trigger exploratory growth in Streptomyces. You can scroll down to the Materials and Methods section to familiarize yourself with the types of experimental techniques they used.

https://elifesciences.org/articles/21738#s4

Once you fully understand the topic and what is known about it so far, then you can decide what question you want to answer in your own research. I see that you said you want to study how yeast’s cellular respiration products stimulate Streptomyces exploratory growth. Which cellular respiration products are you interested in? Once you figure out exactly what you want to test, we can help you figure out what experiments you can perform to test it!

I hope this helps!
Katelyn
Attachments
Streptomyces exploration.pdf
Streptomyces exploration review article
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 16 times

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”