DMSO Solution

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

lylahgirl66

DMSO Solution

Post by lylahgirl66 »

So i have a question. so if i wanted to dissolve toflenamic acid, asprin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen, i could not use water i would have to use a dmso solution correct? what are the tools to develop the solution? what tools would i need to purchase to develop the solution? i know that you need dimethyl sulfide. but what do i mix the dimethyl sulfide with? water?and then is there a certain amount of each drug that i need for each ml of the dmso solution once made? like do i have to have 39 grams of tolfenamic acid for a solution to be made? i want to know because i want to make 2 percent solutions and so i plan on only buying 5 grams of the tolfenamic acid.

follow up questions
okay so i was able to locate 50ml of DMSO, so now i'm wondering if i do 50ml of dmso will it make a solution with 2,500 ml of water to make a 2% solution?and then once a 2 percent solution. Will I be able to dilute tolfenamic acid, aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen in the 2% DMSO solution? when i look on the website i plan on buying the tolfenamic acid from it say that the solubility for tolfenamic acid is "DMSO: >39 mg/ml". do you know what that means?

Moderator note: I've combined your two posts regarding DMSO solution into 1 post ... this is so experts will see that no one has responded to your posts. Thanks again for your patience.
Madeline
koneill18
Expert

Re: DMSO Solution

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

Is there a specific reason why you're trying to make a 2% DMSO solution? Does the website for the tolfenamic acid specify that it needs to be dissolved in 2% DMSO? If it has to be a 2% solution, then it's fine to dilute the DMSO in water, as you said. When it says DMSO: > 39 mg/ml, that means that if you add 39 mg or less of tolfenamic acid per 1 ml of DMSO, it will dissolve. But keep in mind that this refers to plain DMSO- not DMSO diluted in water. If you dilute the DMSO, you'll have to account for that in your calculations.

I hope this answers your question!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”