HELP! Need answer to urgent question.

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

deeyap23

HELP! Need answer to urgent question.

Post by deeyap23 »

I have a science fair project due soon but I want to do something with plants. I was thinking of using growth regulators on tissue cultures but I haven't decided which plant. Does anyone know how long these experiments usually take? Can I finish this in a couple of weeks or will it take months?

Thanks!

Moderator Note: I've removed your duplicate post since Science Buddies requests that you not post duplicates. Thank you. Madeline
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: HELP! Need answer to urgent question.

Post by SciB »

Hello Dee an welcome to Scibuddies,

Maybe I can steer you into a project that can be accomplished in a matter of weeks at home.

I think plant tissue culture would take too long unless you had access to a lab doing it now and someone to teach you the necessary skills.

I could not tell from your post what you are thinking of testing as a hypothesis because 'growth regulators' is a broad area and has been studied pretty thoroughly. Plants are easy subjects to use, however, and growth changes can be measured relatively quickly, so testing some compounds could easily be done. You would need a place to grow the plants where you can provide them with at least 6 hours of sunshine or 12 hours of artificial light (LEDs). Also, the temp needs to be kept at 18-23C (65-75F) for good sprouting and growth. In the winter, I use heating mats set at 20C.

Post again with details on what compounds you were thinking of testing on plants and why you would choose those, and I can give you more advice on how to proceed.

Best wishes,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”