How Much Fat is in Your Food?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

kerl80

How Much Fat is in Your Food?

Post by kerl80 »

Hey!

I'm doing the "How much fat is in your food?" project and I dind't understand very well how to find the extraction efficiency and how correctly interpret the result of that...
brandimiller610
Expert
Project Question: Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How Much Fat is in Your Food?

Post by brandimiller610 »

Hi kerl80,

Thank you for your question regarding this project! Here is some insight I can provide about the fat extraction efficiency:

The extraction efficiency will be calculated using two values: (1) the amount of fat extracted and (2) the actual amount of fat in the sample (given on nutrition label). These can be calculated using the following equations:

(1) Amount of fat extracted = [(Mass before extraction - Mass after extraction) / Mass of crushed sample] x 100
(2) Amount of fat in the sample = [grams of fat per serving/grams of sample] x 100

Once you have these measurements, the extraction efficiency can be calculated as follows: Extraction efficiency = [extracted fat percentage/actual fat percentage] x 100.

This should be conducted separately for each trial for each food (a table can be constructed to keep the data organized). Then, for each food, the three trials should be averaged. To interpret these results, compare the extraction efficiencies of the three foods. Lower extraction efficiencies may indicate poorer extraction quality (i.e. maybe the acetone was not completely evaporated), while efficiencies closer to 100% mean that the fat extraction was more successful.

I hope I have answered your questions regarding this project. Please feel free to reply to this thread if you have additional questions. Good luck on your project!

--Brandi :)

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”