Drug solubility in simulated stomach acid

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

sciencerulez497

Drug solubility in simulated stomach acid

Post by sciencerulez497 »

Hello,

I am planning to make simulated stomach acid using hydrochloric acid and potassium chloride to show the difference in solubility between different kinds of pills for a science project. Specifically I want to dissolve a tablet vs. a capsule, will I get good results? I would like to know before I purchase the materials required. My plan is to just take pictures of the differences or take a time-lapse of each. In summary, I want to show the difference in the time it takes to dissolve them. Here is the link to the simulated stomach acid for reference: https://sciencing.com/simulated-stomach ... 56282.html

koneill18
Expert

Re: Drug solubility in simulated stomach acid

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

This sounds like a really cool project! Yes, you should get good results using this method. Just double check that the pills you're using are made to dissolve in the stomach. Some pills are designed to make it through the stomach without dissolving because some of the ingredients in the medication become less effective when exposed to an acidic environment. Also, make sure to wear gloves and eye protection while working with the acid so you don't burn yourself!

I hope this helps!
Katelyn
dmagic3

Post by dmagic3 »

Hi! I am doing an experiment that is similar to yours and was wondering what are 5 controlled variables we can keep?
koneill18
Expert

Post by koneill18 »

dmagic3 wrote:Hi! I am doing an experiment that is similar to yours and was wondering what are 5 controlled variables we can keep?
Hello! To figure out your controlled variables, you can start by first writing out your whole detailed procedure for the experiment. Your controlled variables will be all of the things that you keep the same each time you do the experiment. If you're testing the solubility of different pills in stomach acid, then the type of pill you add to the acid should be the only thing that changes. One example of a controlled variable that should stay the same for each experiment is the amount of acid that you add to simulate stomach acid. In addition to thinking of all the controlled variables in your experimental technique, you should also think about what variables stay the same in the environment where you're doing the project. Some examples would be which room you perform the experiment in, the temperature of the room, etc.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”