Rice husk ash-derived zeolites as a marine habitat

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

plen17

Rice husk ash-derived zeolites as a marine habitat

Post by plen17 »

Hello, I am a junior interested in conducting an experiment involving the synthesis of zeolites from rice husk ash. So far my research has indicated that I need to use a hydrothermal reaction to produce these zeolites, but I do not have access to an autoclave or a controlled heat source. My goal is to create a habitat for marine life that also adsorbs nitrate from water. This will require me to create a single mass of zeolites that has been molded into a particular shape.

My questions are as follows:
1. Are only rice husk ash and sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution necessary for this reaction, or are other solvents necessary?
2. Would I be able to perform a hydrothermal reaction over a fire and in a clay pot (this would serve as the autoclave)?
3. Would the product be dust or a large, solid mass of zeolite? If it is not a solid mass, would I be able to use silica binders to create a single solid mass? Could this zeolite be shaped in a silicone mold or a clay pot?
4. Would this zeolite then be able to adsorb nitrate from simulated polluted water or would it dissolve?

I would appreciate your support, but I recognize that I may not receive all the answers to my questions. Additionally, if it is required that I conduct this experiment in a lab, do you have any advice on who to contact?

Thank you for your time!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”