Idea on how to "cure" cancer

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Hopper0810

Idea on how to "cure" cancer

Post by Hopper0810 »

Hello,
I was wondering if I could get some help on a few things. First my idea that I have is that if I could create a DNA sequence that would create a poison inside the cell only if the cells Cyclin B levels got to above what they should be at. I first need help trying to figure out the process you would use in order figure out cyclin levels in a normal cell and then in a cancerous cell. Next I would need help creating the regulator gene for this as I have looked up and read many different studies and have gotten nowhere in figuring it out. In theory, if Cyclin level B got to an above average amount, which would happen in cancerous cells, then the regulator gene would stop producing the repressor molecule and the DNA sequence for a poison (I believe a scorpion poison would be the best but if you have a better idea I'm all ears) would start to be coded. This then would kill the cell before it would divide an there goes your cancer. I have until February 2022 to complete this so I'm in no big rush. If you would rather talk about this on zoom or something I would be perfectly happy to do that if you wish. I appreciate any help or advice I can get and thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
koneill18
Expert

Re: Idea on how to "cure" cancer

Post by koneill18 »

Hello,

This sounds like a really cool project idea! Before we get too far into planning your project, I have some questions about what resources you have access to. Since the experiments you're proposing will require expensive materials and special machines, you're definitely going to need access to a university lab. For example, you would need a scientist to order the cells for you since they would only ship to a professional laboratory. You would also need a laminar flow hood to culture the cells in. To figure out how much cyclin your cells are expressing, you would probably need an RT-PCR machine. Transfecting your cells with the poison gene is also pretty complex, so you would need a scientist to mentor you and train you on how to do it. If you live close to a university and there is a scientist there that is okay with you working in their lab, we can start planning the fine details of your project. If you only have access to a high school lab, we can figure out how to modify the project to make it more feasible for you to perform in that setting.

I hope this helps!
Katelyn
Hopper0810

Post by Hopper0810 »

Hello,

My apologies for replying so late, I wanted to make sure I had all the correct information. I have access only to a high school lab, however, my high school has some pretty advanced classes in biotechnology and biology and the teachers of these classes said they would be willing to let me use anything they have. For example, my high school does have a laminar flow hood and I would be allowed to use it. My high school however doesn't have a RT-PCR machine but we do have a plain PCR machine so we can perform PCR. I unfortunately can't go to any of the universities, mainly because all of them are only allowing people that are actually taking classes there, to be able to come in, due to Covid-19 restrictions they have in place. Thank you for the help and advice and I hope this provides the information you need,

Michael
koneill18
Expert

Post by koneill18 »

Hi Michael,

Wow, it's awesome that your school has so many great resources! So, the next step is to figure out what your budget is for your project. I don't know what supplies your school already has, but the experiments you want to do would cost thousands of dollars. Just for reference, one vial of cells would cost about $500 and the media and nutrients you'd need to keep the cells alive would cost about $900. The supplies you would need to create a gene construct and transfect your cells with it would also cost a few thousand dollars. If you're funding your whole project by yourself without support from an academic grant, which is what researchers at universities have, you might need to choose a simpler project. If you'd like, I can try to help you come up with a cancer related project that would be cheaper and easier. Let me know your thoughts!

Katelyn

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”