Can/should we to bring back/clone extinct species?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Lachimolala

Can/should we to bring back/clone extinct species?

Post by Lachimolala »

For my science inquiry for the biology unit, I decided to look at cloning and the ethics behind that. I've got 6 supporting question to answer the main question which is "Can/should we to bring back/clone extinct species?"
These are my supporting questions:
Q1: Would extinct species survive in the present?
Q2: Is it okay to clone some species but not others? *
Q3: Is there a difference between cloning extinct animals and endangered animals or not? *
Q5: How might different groups of people view this? i.e. Cloning – conservation vs resurrection. Would any of these people be fit to make the decision to do cloning?
Q6: How would bringing these creatures impact the ecosystem? Would it redefine them, creating new keystone species, or would it disrupt everything? *

I'm going to put an asterisk next to the questions I haven't done, so if you have any ideas, please help. (needs to be completed by the end of the week but I can use the first weekend of my school holidays).
Please and thank you!! :D :D :D
koneill18
Expert

Re: Can/should we to bring back/clone extinct species?

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

Science Buddies is a website designed to assist students with their hands-on science projects. If you're working on a science project, please provide us with more information on the project so we can better assist you. If you're looking for help with homework questions, a different website might be more helpful to you.

If you do an internet search for "de-extinction," you should be able to find a lot of good resources to give you some ideas for your report. Here's one article I found that might be helpful to you.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/09 ... -back-dead

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”