Seasonal Disease Outbreaks- Personalizing It

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

annagmohanty

Seasonal Disease Outbreaks- Personalizing It

Post by annagmohanty »

Hi, I was going to do a project on seasonal disease outbreaks, specifically the flu. I wanted to use the website you gave on that page, data from previous years flu trends/their safety measures, along with some computations on epidemiology to determine which factors most greatly influence each strand. My rationale is that this would help to make public heath reccomendations more specific. My fear is that this research has already been done, and I should look into new areas with it, but I'm not sure what areas more there are. Thank you so much, and have a great day!

[Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... -outbreaks ]
koneill18
Expert

Re: Seasonal Disease Outbreaks- Personalizing It

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

I think it's a great idea to do use data from previous flu strains for your project! Do you have an idea for a hypothesis that you'd like to test? It would definitely be interesting to compare flu strains and the public health response to each strain to explain any differences between the outbreaks. You could compare the flu strains that resulted in more serious outbreaks to the more mild strains to see what could have caused the difference. You could also compare the flu to other common respiratory viruses if you'd like. Let us know what questions you have as you continue to plan your hypothesis and experimental design and we'd be happy to help!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”