New Science Fair Idea, Help with Supplies!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Mochi_NiMC

New Science Fair Idea, Help with Supplies!

Post by Mochi_NiMC »

Hey,

I'm trying to make a project using proteins called brassinosteroids. I know there are different kinds, but I'm having trouble even finding a resource to get them from. Is there a specific online website that sells this? OR a fungicide called Mandipropamid?

I wanted to do some work on plants to make them more drought resistant/ tolerant by limiting their water intake using these brassinosteroids ( plant proteins which also regulate the amount of water intake and height of the plant), and mandipropamid which effects the height and water intake too.

Thank you for your time
koneill18
Expert

Re: New Science Fair Idea, Help with Supplies!

Post by koneill18 »

Hello,

This sounds like a cool project idea! Is there a specific brassinosteroid that you're looking for? I can understand why you're having trouble finding a website to order these from. It seems like a lot of researchers synthesize brassinosteroids themselves in the lab, so they don't need to order them online. But it looks like the researchers who do buy brassinosteroids and Mandipropamid are buying them from a chemical supply website called Sigma Aldrich. I've ordered a lot of chemicals from this website for my own projects in the lab. The problem is that you need to be affiliated with a research institution to buy anything from that website. They won't sell to individuals. Are you doing this project by yourself or are you working with your school or a university?

-Katelyn
Rogerscullan

Post by Rogerscullan »

commenting for better approach
I also looking for material like this. Thanks!
Mochi_NiMC

Post by Mochi_NiMC »

koneill18 wrote:Hello,

This sounds like a cool project idea! Is there a specific brassinosteroid that you're looking for? I can understand why you're having trouble finding a website to order these from. It seems like a lot of researchers synthesize brassinosteroids themselves in the lab, so they don't need to order them online. But it looks like the researchers who do buy brassinosteroids and Mandipropamid are buying them from a chemical supply website called Sigma Aldrich. I've ordered a lot of chemicals from this website for my own projects in the lab. The problem is that you need to be affiliated with a research institution to buy anything from that website. They won't sell to individuals. Are you doing this project by yourself or are you working with your school or a university?

-Katelyn
Hey Katelyn,

Sorry for responding so late but I was trying to figure out what brassinosteriod I would need. This is for a school project and I understand how there is a small demand for brassinosteriods. I was asking because I wanted to use them for my rice I will be growing.
koneill18
Expert

Post by koneill18 »

Hi,

Yes, brassinosteroids are definitely not easy to find! Sigma Aldrich is the only reliable company I could find that sells them. I did see some brassinosteroids being sold on Amazon, but I don't know anything about where they come from or what the quality is, so I wouldn't be comfortable recommending them.

Katelyn

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”