Tracking COVID-19's Genomic and Clinical Evolution

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

nishtabondala

Tracking COVID-19's Genomic and Clinical Evolution

Post by nishtabondala »

Hello,
I am conducting an experiment-based research project in the Medicine and Health (MED) field for SEFH(Science and Engineering Fair of Houston). As I was looking through project ideas I came across the project titled, "Tracking COVID-19's Genomic and Clinical Evolution". I love the project idea, however, I'm finding it difficult to implement the experimental aspect of it. For SEFH we have to include a self-done experiment into our research and confirm a hypothesis using those results, along with other information from online databases and professionally done research projects. I'm unsure how I can do this project while conducting an experiment of my own that I can conclude results from, as I can't completely rely on other people's research. I am a 10th grader, therefore, I don't have access to high-tech clinical laboratory equipment, however, I do have access to the chemistry and biology labs at my school. I also can get some help regarding equipment from a couple of my parent's friends who are doctors. I have 4 months to do my project so I have plenty of time to conduct an experiment of my own, however, I'm stuck on what I can do for the experimental portion. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can include an experiment in this project that I can conduct myself?

Thank You,
Nishta

Moderator note: I removed the personal identifiers, following Science Buddies policies. Thank you.

[URL for the project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... s-clinical ]
morghanmccool

Re: Tracking COVID-19's Genomic and Clinical Evolution

Post by morghanmccool »

Hi Nishta

This project sounds very interesting! It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what the conference is looking for in terms of research. When we look at public health research, we often see that two fields of science - social science and medicine - are very closely integrated. So, instead of conducting a laboratory experiment, you might consider a survey. Conducting surveys are a completely valid method to collecting data.

I would recommend developing your scientific method. What observations can you make? What is your research question? What do you hypothesize is the answer to this question? Asking these questions and building a project may help you to come up with an idea for an experiment. For example - My toaster is not toasting my bread! Why is my toaster not toasting my bread? The toaster might have a shorted fuse. This is the point where you develop an experimental design. How are you going to test your hypothesis?

All scientists must follow the scientific method. It's the core of all science. If we cannot follow this method, our science is considered fraudulent! It's a big deal!

I hope this helps.

Morghan
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Tracking COVID-19's Genomic and Clinical Evolution

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi Nishta - Morghan gave you some great advice about how to think about the project and experimental procedure you will develop.

I wanted to point out a few other projects at Science Buddies that you might also look at .... all of these use SimPandemic (a free online simulation/visualization tool developed by Science Buddies). If you shaped a project around SimPandemic, you would be able to do your own modeling using the tool. All of these are "abbreviated project ideas," which means they don't provide a procedure. But I thought you might want to browse these, too, if you haven't already looked at them:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... impandemic

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”