DNA Fingerprinting

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

mnksanjana

DNA Fingerprinting

Post by mnksanjana »

Hi, I wanted to do a topic on DNA fingerprinting. I was looking at Alu insertion polymorphism to study human populations. Is there a good ISEF project, that has not been done yet, that you would recommend for me? Thank you for your time!
17eugenekim
Expert
Project Question: To assist others in the AAE forums
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: DNA Fingerprinting

Post by 17eugenekim »

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Sounds like you have an interesting idea to start with!

I often like to start by pointing students to our Science Buddies project guide, which should help answer various basic questions about where to get started on a science fair project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ience-fair
(Also be sure to check out the Advanced Project Guide tab to the right -- it may be of interest to you.)

We do also have a compendium of project ideas, although if you have a highly specific idea it may not be of very much help. I'm linking the best match we have on our site anyways, just in case: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... erprinting (Maybe you've already seen this!)

Remember that any science project starts with a central question that you want to test or find out more about. What exactly do you want to learn about the Alu polymorphism? Why is DNA fingerprinting of interest to you? It may also help to do some reading on the subject -- there are plenty of genetics & genomics papers out there on human DNA polymorphisms. You may want to use something like scholar.google.com to streamline your background research process.

The type of project you can conduct will also largely be dependent on what kinds of materials or equipment you have access to. Remember that this not only includes DNA sequencing tools, but also any human DNA samples that you'd want to test. If these are difficult to get your hands on, you'll have to redesign the scale of the experiments.

Overall, it would be helpful if you let us know more information about your circumstances -- your available materials, what you hope to find, how much pre-planning you've done so far, etc. -- and we can work from there!

Hope that helps. Looking forward to hearing more about your project!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”