Science Fair Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

mango77

Science Fair Project

Post by mango77 »

Hi!

I need help. I was thinking of doing this science fair project:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... t-accuracy

But, my teacher said it's more of a research project rather than inquiry, since I'm just researching the inforation on the data bases.

If there any way to make this an inquiry project?
brandimiller610
Expert
Project Question: Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair Project

Post by brandimiller610 »

Hi mango77,

It is absolutely possible to make this into an inquiry project! In my opinion, anything can be made into an inquiry project if you start with a specific question. Perhaps after completing the procedure, you could ask a specific question that leads you to do more research. In this case, you have asked a question, formulated a hypothesis (don't forget this step -- even for a bioinformatics analysis!), and conducted your own research, using the tools you have been provided, to answer your question. You might want to take a genetics approach and study a specific mutation in the NPC1 gene and uncover how that mutation affects function. Does this specific mutation cause disease? What are the differences between a point mutation in the genetic code and a missense mutation of this specific gene? There are also some ideas on the "Make It Your Own" tab on the project page. I hope these ideas are able to help guide you as you decide on your science fair topic!

Please feel free to reply on this forum if you would like to discuss more or have any questions! :)

--Brandi

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”