Viruses that I'd be able to use in a science project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

tanudeshmuk

Viruses that I'd be able to use in a science project

Post by tanudeshmuk »

Hi, I'm planning to do a science fair project that requires about food borne illnesses that requires bacteria and viruses. The bacteria that I was planning on using was approved by the school, but the virus I was planning on using, Rotavirus, was not. I've been looking online, but I can't seem to find anything else that could work. Does anybody have any recommendations for viruses or a specific place I could look to find this information?
brandimiller610
Expert
Project Question: Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Viruses that I'd be able to use in a science project

Post by brandimiller610 »

Hi tanudeshmuk,

Thank you for your question!

Considering that most viruses that cause foodborne illness have a biosafety level of 2 (BSL-2) or higher, it might be difficult to find a family of viruses that will be approved by your school and fit your purpose. Adenoviruses, noroviruses, and enteroviruses are among the most common viruses causing foodborne illness, but they are all BSL-2 pathogens. You could still try and see if any species from those families of viruses will be approved by your school. This site nicely organizes the BSL of many strains of bacteria, fungi, and viruses: https://ehs.stanford.edu/reference/bios ... cal-agents.

If not, would it be possible for you to conduct your experiment using multiple strains of bacteria that cause foodborne illness? This might have to be a consideration if the viruses you would like to work with can't be approved.

I hope I have been able to help as you begin designing your project. Please feel free to reply on this forum should you have any more questions or concerns about your project. Best of luck!

--Brandi

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”