Dilution of An Enzyme Solution

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Shaimaac

Dilution of An Enzyme Solution

Post by Shaimaac »

Hello,
My science fair project aims to find out how diluting an enzyme solution will affect its reaction. If I were to make a 10% dilution, would it be 1 part of the enzyme solution to 10 parts distilled water or just 10% distilled water added to the enzyme solution that was created in the experiment? Another question I have is, would the undiluted solution be just the enzyme solution without distilled water? If I could receive some answers on this, I would really appreciate it!
brandimiller610
Expert
Project Question: Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Dilution of An Enzyme Solution

Post by brandimiller610 »

Hi Shaimaac,

Thank you for your questions!

A 10% dilution is the same as a 1:10 dilution, meaning that 1 part enzyme is added to 9 parts distilled water. For example, if you need a final volume of 10 mL, a 10% dilution of your enzyme could be prepared by adding 1 mL of original enzyme plus 9 mL of distilled water. Regarding your second question -- you are exactly right! Distilled water should not be added to the undiluted enzyme solution.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to reply on this forum if you have any more questions.

--Brandi
Shaimaac

Re: Dilution of An Enzyme Solution

Post by Shaimaac »

Thank you very much! That really helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”