Done it 3 times and failed each one

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Mickey_Mason

Done it 3 times and failed each one

Post by Mickey_Mason »

Hi!
So in the experiment “how sweet it is” the procedures ask you to make a dilution series, which I have done 3 times now. But when I use the test strips (from the kit) to measure the glucose reading it comes back negative even for the highest concentrated solution. I have also tested it with other test strips that I previously owned but those didn’t work either. I am positive that I was putting in the right amount of glucose powder (also provided in kit) because I weighed out 4 grams with to different scales. At this point I’m not sure what to do.

[Administrator note: Project link: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... se-in-food ]
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Done it 3 times and failed each one

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi - I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your project. It sounds like there may be a problem with the kit, but we'll need your help to troubleshoot.

I am going to provide some steps below to test the urinalysis strips from your kit (and gather some information). Rather than replying here, you can email the information to scibuddy@sciencebuddies.org. (I will receive your information at that address.) You can also reply here at Ask an Expert just to let me know you've sent email, if you want.

Please send the following:
* Lot # on the kit (should be on the label of the box)
* Lot # on the test strips (if there is one)
* Expiration date on the test strips (if there is one)
* Lot # on the glucose bottle (if there is one)
* Order number from the Home Science Tools order (from your invoice)

If you can also do an additional test on the strips from the kit, this will help us determine if there may be an issue with the strips or the glucose powder. To test:

* Dilute 3 grams of honey in 27 mL of water and see if the test strips from the kit register glucose (change color). (Please take a picture after 30 seconds to show the color the dipped strip registers.) This will help us know if the test strips are detecting glucose or not.
* If honey is not available, you can try this by dipping the test strip in Gatorade or in a bit of juice freshly squeezed from a clementine/cutie.

Please note that the test strips from the kit should be urinalysis test strips. (Regular glucose strips used in blood glucose meters will not work for this experiment.)

If you can gather the information and do the test and email me, we will be able to help determine what may be happening. If there is a problem with the materials, we will help connect you with customer service for Home Science Tools (where the kit is sold).

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”