Question about Extracting Onion DNA activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

alexism111

Question about Extracting Onion DNA activity

Post by alexism111 »

Type your question below and then press Submit!

I'm doing this for a science fair project, but the fair requires a test. Do you know if I can use cucumbers or another vegetable to use as a test with the onion. I also want to make sure if I can make a test out of this.

-------------------------------------
Leave this to help the Experts:
The activity can be viewed at: Extracting Onion DNA
koneill18
Expert

Re: Question about Extracting Onion DNA activity

Post by koneill18 »

Hello and welcome to Science Buddies!

You can extract DNA from all different kinds of fruits and vegetables, but some foods may give you less DNA than others. Onions are usually used for this experiment because we know that they yield a large amount of DNA. But you can definitely give the cucumbers a try and see if it works!

Could explain what you mean by a test? Do you mean that the science fair requires you to come up with an experimental question and a hypothesis to test? If so, I think you can modify this project to make it a testable experiment. For example, you could try extracting DNA from a few different fruits and vegetables to see which ones give you the most DNA. You could also test out 2 different DNA extraction methods on the same foods so you can compare them to see which one works the best. Here's a link to a different DNA extraction method from Science Buddies that you could use:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... wberry-dna

I hope this helps!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”