Language

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

hithere

Language

Post by hithere »

I need to identify the independent and dependent variable in my research.
The main part of the article and research is" The adult second language acquisition of grammatical gender and the transfer from the first language of Dutch German, Spanish and English speakers."
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by staryl13 »

Hi!
An easy way of identifying independent and dependent variables is by using the following template:
The Effect of (independent variable) on (dependent variable)
You can also look at this website which explains the difference between the two:
http://www.cool-science-projects.com/in ... ables.html
In this case, I would think that you are studying the effect of the transfer from the first language/language acquisition on Dutch, German, Spanish, and English speakers. Good luck on your project!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by HeatherL »

I need to identify the independent and dependent variable in my research.
The main part of the article and research is" The adult second language acquisition of grammatical gender and the transfer from the first language of Dutch German, Spanish and English speakers."
Hi there,

What an interesting project! 8)

Typically, the independent variable is the thing that you change or that naturally changes, and the dependent variable is the thing that responds to those changes (also known as the "response variable").

In your case, it looks like your dependent variable is the ability to acquire a second language, or how well someone is able to acquire a second language. This is the "response" you're looking for. :)

Depending on the design of your study, you may have a few different independent variables:
- the first language (Dutch German, Spanish, or English)
- the age of your subjects
- the gender of your subjects

I hope that helps. Feel free to post back with more questions.

Good luck,
Heather
kathleenkimball4
Former Expert

Post by kathleenkimball4 »

It looks like you've gotten pretty good help already, but here's something that might help you with the hypothesis:
When you write your hyp. it should be an "If...then..." statement, right? Put the independent variable first and the dependent variable second. You can think of it as "If - Independent" because they both start with the letter "i."

That usually helps me with remembering which is which :)
Good luck!
-Kathleen-

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”