Environmental Science

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

haley10

Environmental Science

Post by haley10 »

HELP! how do i set up an experiment for "how CO2 affects coral growth"?
Thanx!
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by staryl13 »

Hi Haley!
Sounds like an interesting idea! Here's some background information on the topic:
http://www.physorg.com/news103387395.html
Do you have a way to obtain the coral for the experiment? I would suggest you check out some local marine biology labs with access to coral so you can conduct your experiment with some experienced marine biologists. Otherwise, you could probably set up some tanks at home or school with coral inside. Each tank would contain different amounts of CO2 (you would have to attach some CO2 source) and you could monitor the growth of the coral in terms of its size. Hope this helped, post back if you have any other question, good luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
haley10

Post by haley10 »

Thank you for your help. I think I will do the experiment at my house or school. Since this is such a small island, I don't think we do have a marine biology lab. I'm also not sure if I can get coral. Of course, we have coral all around this island, but I shouldn't take any of that coral. Any ideas?
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by staryl13 »

Hi Haley!
Glad I could help...Would it be possible to perhaps research a different type of marine species using the resources you have? If not, maybe you could try buying a sample of coral (although you might have to talk to your parents first-it's pretty expensive though)-check out this link:
http://www.cyber-reef.com/?gclid=CIKe4_ ... GgodLD7Osg
Good luck!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”