DNA Fingerprinting Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Sandra Bennett

Post by Sandra Bennett »

I have a student who is doing a Science Fair Project on the topic "What makes a DNA Fingerprint Unique?" and she is having trouble using the REBsites link given on Science Buddies. She needs to talk it through with the expert. How can she contact the author, Sara Agee?
S. Bennett
scibudadmin
Site Admin

Post by scibudadmin »

Ms. Bennett,

I will forward your message on to Sara Agee so that she can respond to your questions. In the meantime can you please provide me with additional information about what she is "having trouble" with? Is she unable to access the website? Is she having trouble understanding what she needs to do to use the website? Any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

Myself or Sara will contact you again shortly. Thank you for your patience and please email scibuddy@sciencebuddies.org if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Melissa
Sandra Bennett

Post by Sandra Bennett »

Melissa,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. The way I understand it is that she is having trouble getting one of the links (REBsites) - where she enters her sequencing- to work. I believe she was able to access the site OK, but couldn't get the table provided to accept her data. I'm not positive about this. Amy e-mailed me today, and tomorrow I'll send her more specifics with the student's help, on exactly what's happening.

Thanks again!
Sandra
S. Bennett
scibudadmin
Site Admin

Post by scibudadmin »

Sandra,

The issue with the REBsites tool from NEB has been fixed. NEB has stopped supporting a format for indicating cutting site sequences that uses a "^" to indicate the cut site. To get the experiment to work, use a vertical line "|" to indicate the cut site instead of a "^" as indicated in the Science Buddies procedure.

Note that this is not a capital letter i, this is the key found between the return key and the delete key on your keyboard, and you will need to hit the shift key to get the vertical line. This change in procedure will be amended in the project ASAP. Then you should be able to hit submit and see your "gel" appear."

Regards,
Sara Agee and Melissa Glass
Science Buddies Staff
Sandra Bennett

Post by Sandra Bennett »

Good morning Sara and Melissa,

Sara, did you and my student Morgan get an opportunity to discuss the recent fix ? I'll see her around 12:15 today, but hopefully she was able to make some progress with this over the weekend. If not, I'm sure she'll be glad to get this news today.

Thanks so much for all your work on this and for keeping me posted!!

Fondly,
Sandra
S. Bennett

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”