BLASTing Influenza question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

cecelia56
Project Question: BLASTING influenza
Project Due Date: February 13m 08
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

BLASTing Influenza question

Post by cecelia56 »

Hi, i am doing my project BLASTing influenza. I would like to compare the latest vaccine prototypes A/turkey/Turkey/1/05, A/Bar headed goose/Qinghai/1A/2005 and A/Whooping swan/Mongolia/244/2005. For each prototype, I analyzed the first 25 DNA sequences and look for the groups whose DNA alignments are not matched. In addition, I want to figure out the main changes of the strains and predict how long one vaccine lasts for based on the analysis. In addition, I want to see if I can find an alternative if the vaccine is not effective. would you please give me some advices?
barretttomlinson
Former Expert

Re: BLASTing Influenza question

Post by barretttomlinson »

You sound like you have a pretty good plan of attack. My only suggestion would be to really study the project outline, particularly exploring the bibliography in as much detail as your time allows.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ?from=Home

If you have specific questions, repost and we will try to help, otherwise just go for it!

Barrett Tomlinson
cecelia56
Project Question: BLASTING influenza
Project Due Date: February 13m 08
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: BLASTing Influenza question

Post by cecelia56 »

Thank you so much for your reply!!! Right now I am looking for a way that I can figure out the best prototype in the analysis. However, it seems that each prototype is not matched with the vaccine prototype well. So, I have problem in deciding the alternate vaccine.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”