iron fertilization project-creating stable ocean environment

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

mekdem
Project Question: Hello,

I’m doing my project on iron fertilization. My plan’s to create a stable ocean environment in something like a water jug or small tank, and add iron to see if it will cause phytoplankton growth. If successful, I’ll then see if they’re effective in reducing CO2 in the air.

My question is about creating a stable environment. I'm not sure how I’d go about doing this. What supplies would I need? What steps should I take?

I’d greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thank you!
Project Due Date: I'm not exactly sure. My teacher said some time around March.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

iron fertilization project-creating stable ocean environment

Post by mekdem »

Hello,
I need help creating a stable ocean environment in something like a water jug, in which i can add iron to grow phytoplankton. What supplies would I need to create the environment? What steps should I take?

I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks!
adance
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: iron fertilization project-creating stable ocean environment

Post by adance »

This is a very topical project, as some companies are trying to do just that in the ocean!

I'm no expert in ocean science, but I wonder if you might try an aquarium supply store? I imagine the supplies to make a saltwater aquarium might get you going in the right direction.

good luck
Amber Dance
Science Buddy
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by staryl13 »

Hi!
Sounds really interesting! Here's a link that might be able to help (skip the first few pages):
http://www.mbl.edu/mrc/services/pdf/teachers_guide.pdf
Definitely try a local aquarium supply store like Amber suggested. Hope this helps, good luck!!
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
mekdem
Project Question: Hello,

I’m doing my project on iron fertilization. My plan’s to create a stable ocean environment in something like a water jug or small tank, and add iron to see if it will cause phytoplankton growth. If successful, I’ll then see if they’re effective in reducing CO2 in the air.

My question is about creating a stable environment. I'm not sure how I’d go about doing this. What supplies would I need? What steps should I take?

I’d greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thank you!
Project Due Date: I'm not exactly sure. My teacher said some time around March.
Project Status: I am conducting my research

iron fertilization project-testing phytoplankton's efficienc

Post by mekdem »

Hello,
I am doing my project on iron fertilization. My plan is to create a stable ocean environment in something like a water jug or small tank, and add iron to see if it will cause phytoplankton growth. If successful in this, I'll then go on to see if they're effective in reducing CO2 in the air.

I need help with the CO2. I thought I could fill a balloon with CO2 with a rubber band around the bottom, and place it over the top of the jug without letting any out. If the balloon deflates over time, that could mean the phytoplankton are reducing the CO2. Do you think this would work? Maybe even if they were, the balloon wouldn’t deflate because the pressure inside would remain the same, or it would get filled with a different gas? Do you have any suggestions on a better way of testing the phytoplankton’s efficiency?

I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by ChrisG »

Hi Mekdem,
I am merging your posts into one thread. Please try to keep all posts relating to this project in a single thread so that the experts will be able to keep track of your ideas and progress.
The volume of air in a container at a constant pressure and temperature is approximately proportional to the moles of gas inside the container, as long as the gaseous constituents are "ideal gases". This is known as the "ideal gas law". For photosynthesis, the basic reaction is
6 CO2(gas) + 6 H2O(liquid) + photons → C6H12O6(aqueous) + 6 O2(gas)
so the number of moles of gas are the same before and after the reaction, and the total volume of gas will not likely give you and accurate estimate of the CO2 concentration inside your experimental chamber.
There are various methods to measure CO2 concentration, which have been previously discussed in this forum:
http://www.sciencebuddies.com/science-f ... fc0#p16142
Good luck!
Chris

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”