Cool Blue Light of Luminol

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kramirez474

Re: Cool Blue Light of Luminol

Post by kramirez474 »

I'm using the procedure as a guide for my experiment. My research question is: How does the variation of the concentration of hydrogen peroxide(3%, 10%, 15%, 30%, 35%) affect the intensity of the light emitted during the luminol reaction? I'm using the materials mentioned in this experiment except I'm replacing the perborate with hydrogen peroxide. I need help with the measurements of the chemicals. I'm not sure if it's better to do a small scale or large scale. Do you know the measurements go how many copper sulfate should be added? How much of hydrogen peroxide should I use? And also, would it be fine to use a light meter to measure the light intensity?

norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by norman40 »

Hello kramirez474,

I’m assuming that you’re working on the project described here:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary

If you want to use hydrogen peroxide for the oxidizing agent, I think you’ll also need a strong base such as sodium hydroxide. The following link shows appropriate amounts of each of the required chemicals:

https://www.carolina.com/teacher-resour ... tr10786.tr

You might try using the same volume of the different hydrogen peroxide concentrations. My suggestion is to stick with the lower concentrations (3% and 10%) to avoid the hazards associated with handling more concentrated hydrogen peroxide.

You may be able to use a light meter for your measurements instead of taking digital photos.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
kramirez474

Post by kramirez474 »

Hi, thanks for replying.
For this experiment, I need to have 5 independent variables. To avoid the hazards of having high concentration of hydrogen hydroxide, would you know what concentrations are available that I can use? I know that there's 3%, 6%, and 10%.

-Thanks again.
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by norman40 »

Hi kramirez474,

Based on your description of your experiment, you have five settings (or levels) of one independent variable (hydrogen peroxide concentration).

You might consider diluting 10% hydrogen peroxide to get any lower concentration that you want.

Another option you might consider is to expand the original project to include five different temperatures (instead of two). You’d need to figure out how to conduct the luminol reaction at the additional temperatures. But you would not have to work out the chemical material substitutions you’ve outlined.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”