Help with variables

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Tylerm34

Help with variables

Post by Tylerm34 »

I'm doing what effect does sugar have on the boiling time of water

I can't think of what the independent and dependent variables
kaylimasuda
Former Expert

Re: Help with variables

Post by kaylimasuda »

Hello there!

That sounds like an excellent experiment. Your independent variable can be the concentration of the sugar solution, keeping the amount of water constant as a controlled variable. Furthermore, the dependent variable can be the temperature at which the water begins to boil or the time until the entire liquid evaporates. Also, just in case you didn't know, the scientific term for this experiment is research into "colligative properties."

Anyway, I hope that helps!
-Kayli Masuda :D
Tylerm34

Re: Help with variables

Post by Tylerm34 »

kaylimasuda wrote:Hello there!

That sounds like an excellent experiment. Your independent variable can be the concentration of the sugar solution, keeping the amount of water constant as a controlled variable. Furthermore, the dependent variable can be the temperature at which the water begins to boil or the time until the entire liquid evaporates. Also, just in case you didn't know, the scientific term for this experiment is research into "colligative properties."

Anyway, I hope that helps!
-Kayli Masuda :D
Now that I have that I need help with my hypothesis

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”