Question about use of ethanol as a solvent (important!)

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

anniezhi01

Question about use of ethanol as a solvent (important!)

Post by anniezhi01 »

Hello!

In my project, I'm synthesizing y-cyclodextrin based Metal Organic Frameworks (MOFs), and in the research papers I've read, ethanol (or methanol) is used as a solvent in the crystallization process. However, I'm not sure which grade/proof of ethanol should be used in this case. I'd greatly appreciate some clarification about this ASAP. Thank you!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question about use of ethanol as a solvent (important!)

Post by norman40 »

Hello anniezhi01,

Sounds like you have an ambitious and interesting project!

Research papers that discuss synthesis or preparation of chemical compounds should have experimental sections that specify all materials and procedures used. You'll want to find one or two papers with a detailed description of the synthesis that you want to conduct. The description will specify the exact solvent you need for producing the cyclodextrin MOF crystals. If ethanol is required, it would probably be 100% or 95%.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”