Measuring oxygen levels and carbon dioxide in the air at home

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Sadiaak

Measuring oxygen levels and carbon dioxide in the air at home

Post by Sadiaak »

Good day .
Hoping you are well.

I have decided on a project topic which is about how wearing mask during this pandemic affects our bodies . We inhale alot of carbon dioxide when we are at school wearing a mask for 6 to 7 hours so how does that affect my body..

I'd love some help on ideas about how I can measure levels of CO2 and oxygen in the air at home something like an experiment .

From the little research I have done I have found out that i need monitors and devices which i cannt afford something cost effective and can easy be found please
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Measuring oxygen levels and carbon dioxide in the air at home

Post by norman40 »

Hi Sadiaak,

You may be able to adapt the project at the following link:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ide-output

The aim of this project is to measure changes in exhaled carbon dioxide due to exercise. But for your project you would try to measure changes due to wearing a protective mask. The project includes a technique for measuring relative amounts of carbon dioxide in exhaled breath using readily available materials.

I hope this helps. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
Sadiaak

Post by Sadiaak »

Thank you. I will do so :D
Sadiaak

Post by Sadiaak »

Hi . I'm busy with my research plan at the moment . I'm struggling to complete it .

What can my problem statement be regards to the topic I have chosen .
norman40
Former Expert

Post by norman40 »

Hi Sadiaak,

Your problem statement (also called a research question) is the question you're trying to answer with your project. I think the information you gave in your first post is a great start on a problem statement. You might try re-wording a bit to get to a statement that's one sentence long.

There's a great science fair project guide at the following link. You may want to read over this information as you work on your problem statement and research plan.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ience-fair

A. Norman
Sadiaak

Post by Sadiaak »

Thank you very much sir .
I'm a little concerned about my project . While I was doing background research I found out that wearing masks doesnt really harm the body . Just makes a person feel a bit uncomfortable. So after knowing that I feel like I cant do this project anymore because researchers have already proven the questions right or wrong . Is this project ideas suitable for a Science Fair ? Oh and is it suitable for a Gr10 ?

Hoping this message reaches you in good health .
norman40
Former Expert

Post by norman40 »

Hi Sadiaak,

Many science projects cover topics with known answers. Projects with completely original topics are more unusual. The main aim of a school science project is to learn how the scientific process works. And you can accomplish this with an original topic or with a topic that's been covered before.

You may be able to refine your question based on your background research. For example, you've found that wearing masks makes a person feel uncomfortable. How long does it take to experience discomfort? Does the type mask worn influence the discomfort?

Or you may want to consider a different but related topic. The project mentioned in my first reply post is about exhaled carbon dioxide and how it changes due to exercise. You might consider this project as an alternative either with or without an experiment involving masks.

A. Norman
Sadiaak

Post by Sadiaak »

:D Thank you very much

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”