Question about Minds of Their Own: A Chemical Reaction that Changes, then Changes Back! activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

afatima10

Question about Minds of Their Own: A Chemical Reaction that Changes, then Changes Back! activity

Post by afatima10 »

Hello,

I'm working with the Brings-Rauscher oscillating reaction for my science fair project. So I bought a kit online for an oscillating reaction kit. When I researched more about the experiment after trying it out, I found that instead of sodium iodate and sulfamic acid that I had used from the kit, people who did the experiment from scratch used potassium iodate and sulfuric acid, respectively. Can you tell me why? And also what would be the chemical formula be for this reaction after I have used sodium iodate and sulfamic acid in place of potassium iodate and sulfuric acid?

Thank you and awaiting a reply,
-Areeba Fatima
ctactawong
Expert

Re: Question about Minds of Their Own: A Chemical Reaction that Changes, then Changes Back! activity

Post by ctactawong »

Hello,

The active ingredients are iodate (IO3-) and acid (H+). Different variants would work but may affect the rate of reaction.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”