Reading literature and not understanding it.

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

TeamRocketGrunt
Project Question: Trying to learn and help others along the way.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Reading literature and not understanding it.

Post by TeamRocketGrunt »

Hi guys. I am currently set to work with a mentor on a project in materials science, but I have to write a research proposal first. As such, I have been reading literature relevant to the field I'm working in, but there's a lot of jargon I cannot understand. Is there any way to get past this? If I go to competition, will it look like I don't know what I"m talking about?
raytrent
Former Expert

Re: Reading literature and not understanding it.

Post by raytrent »

This is a very general question. Is there some specific jargon that you would like help understanding?
../ray\..
Quqliofolo
Project Question: Quqliofolo
Project Due Date: Quqliofolo
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Post by Quqliofolo »

It is not easy to understand. But I will try.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Hi quqliofolo,

Scientific literature can definitely be hard to wade through, particularly if you aren't familiar withthe jargon. You may find it helpful to make a list of the words you aren't familiar with, and then check Wikipedia to get some additional background on those concepts. If you are working with a mentor, you can always ask him or her for clarification. If you go to your mentor and say, "I didn't understand this term, so I looked it up on Wikipedia, but I still have a question about x...", I suspect your mentor would be happy to help you. Showing that you've put some effort in yourself is a major plus.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”