Unsure what to do

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Jpham
Project Question: Testing which method is better to whiten your teeth with on egg shells. (Ex: whitening strips, whitening toothpaste, baking soda,etc)
Project Due Date: December 16, 2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Unsure what to do

Post by Jpham »

I am testing toothpaste,gel and baking soda on egg shells to observe how white they get or which product is better to whiten your teeth with.
The original plan was to dip the egg in coffee, then apply the product, record the results after every hour and then repeat everyday.
Then my partner suggested we do not dip the egg in coffee and just use the egg shells as they are.
I have also wondered if we dip the egg in coffee once and then apply the product everyday without re-dipping it in coffee will work the same.
My partner's mother works as a dentist assistant and she said that just using the egg shells as they are is fine.
I am having doubts about the way to do things, so I asked my science teacher and he said he doesn't know (which is not very helpful).
Can you help me pick which method I should proceed with?
Thank you
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Unsure what to do

Post by tdaly »

Hi Jpham,

The most important thing is to pick one way and always do your experiments that exact same way. I think any of the options you listed below could give you interesting results, so you can just pick one and run with it. Keep in mind that each of these experiments will answer slightly different questions. For example, dipping the shell in coffee every day would assess how effective the whitening products are at removing stains as they build up. Dipping the shell in coffee once would assess how effective the whitening products are at removing stains that are already present on the teeth.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”