Do silver Nanoparticles neutralize E. Coli bacteria?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Mbazzid
Project Question: questions regarding the filter paper holes (their size) for the project can silver nanoparticles neutralize e.coli bacteria, how will the bacteria be shown?
Project Due Date: November 5, 2014
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Do silver Nanoparticles neutralize E. Coli bacteria?

Post by Mbazzid »

The question for my project is how small do the filter papers have to be???
I think the size the site is giving is way too big because the paper, once placed in the media plates are unproportional with the paper in it making it too difficult and inaccurate to measure.
Also, how are you supposed to hole punch the filter paper? :evil:
My science fair is due this Wednesday (12) and I'm freaking out!!! Thanks!
mkjacobsen
Project Question: New Expert
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Do silver Nanoparticles neutralize E. Coli bacteria?

Post by mkjacobsen »

Hi Mbazzid,

I would suggest using either a single hole punch or a three hole punch (such as for a piece of paper). Coffee filter paper may not be stiff enough to get a good punched circle out on it's own, but if you have a piece of construction paper, you can face the coffee paper with the construction paper on both sides. This should allow you to easily punch out the circles.

Based on the sizes listed (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure), I think that just about any standard hole punch should work. What size are your media plates?

Best of luck,

mjacobsen

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”