Project Help!

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

rijuchaudhuri
Project Question: I want to make a project on 'Dark Matter' and 'Dark Energy'. But as there's no specific method to detect them, I don't exactly know, what will I have to do. Will I have to make such an experiment? Or can I publish my Ideas? If neither, will I have to change my project?
Project Due Date: I need to complete the project within 1-2 weeks.
Project Status: I am just starting

Project Help!

Post by rijuchaudhuri »

I have participated to Google Science Fair 2015. I want to make a project on 'Dark Matter' and 'Dark Energy'. But, as there's no way to detect them, I don't clearly know what to do. Will I need to make an experiment? Can I publish my idea instead? If neither, will I have to change the topic?
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Project Help!

Post by norman40 »

Hello rijuchaudhuri,

Welcome to the forum. “Dark Matter” and “Dark Energy” are a couple of very broad topics. I think it would be helpful if you could try to find some specific areas of interest within either topic. That would make it much easier to develop a project.

I'm not too familiar with the Google Science Fair. I did find rules for projects submissions and it appears to me that an experiment should be part of your project.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
dipu_canbe
Project Question: I want to make a circuit that could switch off the sprinkler when it is raining. For this I would require a CD4011 IC. I want to ask that the IC I will buy has to be modified or can be used in that way only. If modification is to be made pls explain in detail.
Project Due Date: 24/07/2015

Post by dipu_canbe »

I have selected a project from this site https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p066.shtml but I am not able to make out what is the use 10 M ohm resistor used in the circuit. If anyone could explain me by seeing the photo it would be of great help. :roll:Image
HowardE
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by HowardE »

In that circuit, R3 (the 10M resistor) serves as a current limiting resistor to make sure that not too much energy flows from the battery when the circuit formed by the two 100K resistors is conducting. Basically, pin 1 of the chip (connected to R1) is always going to be high or a logic '1'. Pin 2 (connected to R2) will be low or a logic '0' when the circuit is dry because there's no conduction between the two resistors R1 & R2, and R3 is providing a connection to ground. When the resistors can conduct due to moisture, the current can flow through all of R1, R2 and R3 making pin 2 high. When both of the inputs are high, the output at pin 3 can go low and turn off the LED.
dipu_canbe
Project Question: I want to make a circuit that could switch off the sprinkler when it is raining. For this I would require a CD4011 IC. I want to ask that the IC I will buy has to be modified or can be used in that way only. If modification is to be made pls explain in detail.
Project Due Date: 24/07/2015

Re: Thanks

Post by dipu_canbe »

Thank you very much!! That was really helpful

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”