Restoring Used Cooking Oils

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kingzednoc123

Restoring Used Cooking Oils

Post by kingzednoc123 »

Hi,

I've got this science project where I restored used cooking oil acquired from restaurants where extensive use of oil for deep-frying was repetitive. In this project, I used three plant components -- banana peels (to create activated carbons) since they could adsorb peroxide and increase the brightness of waste cooking oil, citrus peels for the citric acid to chelate metal ions which may catalyze peroxide formation, and ginger which have protease ions used for purification processes through breaking down peptide bonds of proteins. I already have positive results from my preliminary screening but I still want to improve the project by creating a prototype oil filtering device using the three components since I only did immersion of the components through a thin fabric wrapping for 2 hours. Could anyone please help me on creating the prototype oil filter by giving out tips, ideas, possible components, or models? Thank you!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Restoring Used Cooking Oils

Post by tdaly »

Hi shikeycondez00,

This sounds like a neat project. I'm not sure what scale you are trying to achieve, but you might try using triple-thick layers of cheesecloth stretched across embroidery hoops. You could make four of these hoops and then stack them with layers of banana peel, citrus peels, and ginger in between the layers of cheesecloth. The oil could then filter down through the layers into a collection bowl at the bottom. You could experiment with the order of the banana peels, citrus peels, and ginger to see what gives you the optimal results. One option might be:

Hoop with cheesecloth
Banana peels
Hoop with cheesecloth
Citrus peels
Hoop with cheesecloth
Ginger
Hoop with cheesecloth
Collection bowl

You would probably also need to experiment with how quickly you pour the oil through the system.
All the best,
Terik
kingzednoc123

Post by kingzednoc123 »

Hi Terik,

First of all, thank you for replying! I'm not sure by what you meant by what scale I was trying to achieve though. Btw, I have two questions:

1. Should I test the oils with varying ratios of the component?
2. Why should I test how quickly I'll pour the oil to the system?

Thanks a lot!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Hi shikeycondez00,

With regards to scale, I was referring to how much oil you are trying to process. Are you trying to restore a few teaspoons of cooking oil? A few cups of cooking oil? Gallons of cooking oil? The amount of oil you need to process will affect how you design the system that you use.

I'll answer your other two questions, but in reverse order:

2. Why should I test how quickly I'll pour the oil into the system?
You want to pour slowly enough that the oil doesn't overflow and make a big mess. I'm not sure how quickly the oil will percolate through the system. So, start by adding small amounts of oil. It will probably take some trial and error to figure out how quickly you can add the oil without overflowing your system.

1. Should I test the oils with varying ratios of the component?
You certainly could. You've tested each component (citrus peels, etc.) individually. Varying their ratios would be a logical next step.

Post back as you have other questions!
All the best,
Terik
CuriousCat341

Post by CuriousCat341 »

kingzednoc123 wrote:Hi,

I've got this science project where I restored used cooking oil acquired from restaurants where extensive use of oil for deep-frying was repetitive. In this project, I used three plant components -- banana peels (to create activated carbons) since they could adsorb peroxide and increase the brightness of waste cooking oil, citrus peels for the citric acid to chelate metal ions which may catalyze peroxide formation, and ginger which have protease ions used for purification processes through breaking down peptide bonds of proteins. I already have positive results from my preliminary screening but I still want to improve the project by creating a prototype oil filtering device using the three components since I only did immersion of the components through a thin fabric wrapping for 2 hours. Could anyone please help me on creating the prototype oil filter by giving out tips, ideas, possible components, or models? Thank you!
Could I ask what were the procedures you used to make ginger, banana and orange peel work as purifiers? Would like to recreate and improve on your idea for a school project. You'll be part of the acknowledgements :D

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”