Iron in cereal

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ErinMc

Iron in cereal

Post by ErinMc »

My 9th teacher assigned us a research project on any topic of our choice. originally i was going to see which brand of cereal contained the most iron, however she suggested that i make it more advanced by a titration or other means. If i did a titration, how would i go about doing so? And if not do you have any other ways to make this project more advanced?

Thank you!
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Iron in cereal

Post by norman40 »

Hello ErinMc,

There is a Science Buddies project with the objective of finding the amount of iron in difference cereals:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... al#summary

In this project, a magnet is used to extract iron from various cereals. And you can take the testing a little further by weighing the cereal and the extracted iron. With this information you can calculate the amount of iron per gram of cereal (see the “Make It Your Own” section of the project).

I hope this helps and good luck. Please post again if you have more questions.

A. Norman
ErinMc

Titration Data Table

Post by ErinMc »

Hi, so I'm a ninth grade student doing the titration of acid in vinegar for my science project and i was wondering how i would go about setting up my data table. Please explain or leave an example for me to study, thank you so much!!!

My Project can be found here:

(https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... r-solution )
norman40
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Iron in cereal

Post by norman40 »

Hello ErinMc,

In this experiment the main piece of data you collect is the volume of NaOH solution added to reach the endpoint. From this and the NaOH concentration you can calculate the acetic acid concentration in a vinegar sample you titrated.

My suggestion is to make a data table that shows the volume of NaOH solution and the calculated acetic acid concentration for each trial that you complete. If you are making titration curves with the “Science Journal” app you should include the drop flow rate calculations in your table because these are used with the titration curve endpoint.

I hope this helps. Please ask again if you have more questions.

A. Norman

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”